Draw, rules and past winners of the Central Towns Trophy.
A special thanks to Tullamore Rental Properties, (Tony Flanagan) for their continued sponsorship of this Tournament.
2023 DRAW has been made, see draw at bottom of page. Best of luck everyone.
Congratulations to Nenagh Golf Club on winning the Central Towns Trophy 2022 when they defeated Carlow Golf Club in the final. Nenagh’s Captain is Liam Hogan and the Team Manager is Billy Morgan. Well done to all and thank you to all the teams that took part.
The Draw for the 2023 Central Towns Competition will take place early 2023.
Larry Lynam, Captain-Elect is the Convenor for the Tournament this year.
For the first round matches the club on top of the draw play 3 matches at home.
Current Holders: Nenagh Golf Club
- The tournament shall be organised and run by Tullamore Golf Club and the Trophy, which is perpetual, shall be known as the “Central Towns Trophy”.
- A pennant will be presented to the Captain of the winning Club. The Central Towns Trophy shall be presented to the Manager of the winning team.
- The competing teams shall consist of five male members, playing singles scratch match play. The World handicap index of team members shall not have been less than 11.0 on 1st January in the year of the tournament. The World Handicap index held by a player on 1st January is the operative Handicap index throughout the Tournament.
- A team sheet listed in order of play must be exchanged between team managers no later that fifteen minutes prior to a match commencing.
- A player may obtain distance information by using a device that measures distance only. If during a stipulated round, a player uses a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect his play (e.g. gradient, wind speed, temperature etc.), the player is in breach of Rule 14-3 of the Rules of Golf , for which the penalty is disqualification, regardless of whether any such additional function is actually used.
- Golf Ireland’s rules of Competition will apply.
- All matches must be played to a finish unless an overall result has been reached.
- Each round of the tournament shall be played in accordance with the draw made by Tullamore Golf Club. For the Preliminary and First rounds, the Club on top of the draw shall have home advantage. For each of the subsequent rounds, progressing teams will alternate between home /away fixtures. Should both progressing teams in a fixture, having played the previous match at home or away, then the top team in the draw will have home advantage.
- No person may play for more than one Club in this tournament in any one season.
- All matches must be played on or before the date fixed. The winning club must report the result of the match to Tullamore Golf Club immediately.
- It is the responsibility of the winning team manager to report the result to the competition convenor at Tullamore Golf Club within 24hours of each match being played.
- Any team who successfully defends their title, will be required to replace two members of their winning team for the competition in following year.
- For the purposes of the tournament the area shall be divided into sections, which will be determined on general geography by the organisers.
- The final of the tournament shall be played on the Tullamore Golf Course, on August 12th 2023 at 2pm. The Pennant and eight(8) medals will be presented to the finalists at a reception following the final.
- The Trophy shall be held by the winning Club and such Club shall be responsible for the safe custody and return to Tullamore Golf Club before the final the following year.
- No green fees are chargeable to members of a team for practice, during the seven days prior to the match. It is suggested that one free practice round be made available to the visiting team members.
- The decision of the Tullamore Golf Club shall be final on any question arising out of this tournament.
- Entrance fee of €100 must be lodged with the tournament organiser, Tullamore Golf Club by March 3rd 2023
- For further information email Larry Lynam – email@example.com
The Central Towns Trophy was inaugurated by Tullamore Golf Club in 1965 and the first winners were Carlow Golf Club. It has been a hugely popular competition.
The following are the winners to date:
|2022 – Nenagh|
|2020/21 -Esker Hills|
|2019 – Palmerstown House|
|2018 – Portumna|
|2017 – New Forest|
|2016 – Portumna|
|2015 – Portumna|
|2014 – Tullamore|
|2013 – Carlow|
|2012 – Carlow|
|2011 – Castle Barna|
|2010 – Naas|
|2009 – Cill Dara|
|2008 – Moate|
|2007 – Nenagh|
|2006 – Birr|
|2005 – Mullingar|
|2004 – Ballinasloe|
|2003 – Nenagh|
|2002 – Edenderry|
|2001 – Headfort|
|2000 – Templemore|
|1999 – Nenagh|
|1998 – Bodenstown|
|1997 – Moate|
|1996 – Portumna|
|1995 – Cill Dara|
|1994 – Thurles|
|1993 – Nenagh|
|1992 – Ballinasloe|
|1991 – Ballinasloe|
|1990 – Nenagh|
|1989 – Nenagh|
|1988 – Nenagh|
|1987 – Portumna|
|1986 – Thurles|
|1985 – Carlow|
|1984 – Abbeyleix|
|1983 – Loughrea|
|1982 – Loughrea|
|1981 – Mullingar|
|1980 – Nenagh|
|1979 – The Curragh|
|1978 – The Curragh|
|1977 – Carlow|
|1976 – Thurles|
|1975 – Thurles|
|1974 – Carlow|
|1973 – Carlow|
|1972 – Thurles|
|1971 – The Curragh|
|1970 – Carlow|
|1969 – Naas|
|1968 – Thurles|
|1967 – Birr|
|1966 – Carlow|
|1965 – Carlow|